FAQ's for the Accused (Respondent)
If you have been accused of sexual misconduct, DO NOT contact the victim (Complainant). You may want to speak with someone in the campus community who can act as a support person. The Title IX Coordinator, or advocate, can explain the college’s grievance procedures for addressing sexual misconduct complaints. You may also want to seek confidential counseling through Psychological Services or seek support through off campus services in the community.
What about legal advice?
Respondents may want to retain legal counsel given the potential for criminal and/or civil action. Los Angeles Southwest College does not provide legal counsel to students.
Will anyone be told?
The college’s primary relationship is to you, the student. College officials will only speak with other individuals at your request or when there is a significant threat to your health or safety.
Can the student be charged with something on campus and off campus?
Yes, complainants have the right to pursue both campus resolution of a complaint as well as civil and/or criminal resolution. It is up to the complainant to decide how they want to proceed. The colleges’ processes will move forward regardless if there is criminal or civil legal action taken regarding the same incident.
Throughout this process, both the complainant and respondent have the following rights:
- To be treated with respect by District officials.
- To take advantage of campus support resources, such as Psychological Services, Student Health Services, etc.
- To experience a safe education and work environment.
- To have an advisor during an adjudication process.
- To be free of retaliation.
- To have complaints heard in accordance with policy and procedures.
- To fully participate in any process whether the injured party is serving as the complainant, or where the institution is serving as complainant.
Title IX Coordinator:
Monica M. Garcia, Title IX Coordinator
(323) 241-5005, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cristy W. Passman, JD., Ed.D.
Title IX, LACCD Coordinator
(213) 891-2000 x 3113