Utility (Power) Failure
In the event of a power failure, emergency lighting will come on and exits signs will remain lit. Some buildings are equipped with emergency generators, which will provide power to elevators (to return them to the ground floor), some additional lighting, and critical equipment.
- In the event of a major utility failure occurring during regular working hours, notify Plant Facilities at extension 5060, (323-241-5060) or the College Sheriff at extension 5311 (323-241-5311) immediately.
- Assist the disabled in exiting the building. Remember that elevators are reserved for disabled person's use but should not be used unless absolutely certain that it is safe to do so.
- Do not use elevators.
- If trapped in an elevator, remain calm. Do not attempt to force open the roof hatch or door. Use the telephone located on the panel. They will send help that will assist you.
- Once outside report to the evacuation assembly area the zone you are coming from.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- Do not return to an evacuated building until the all-clear signal is sounded or unless told to do so by a college official.
- If the power failure occurs during daylight hours, open the drapes or blinds to utilize sunlight.
- To prevent fire hazards, do not use open flames (candles, etc.).