Welcome to Los Angeles Southwest College!
Here is a snapshot of who we are:
Los Angeles Southwest College is a two-year college that awards Associate’s Degrees in more than 30 fields and occupational certificates in more than 45 disciplines. We offer a range of programs that meet the community’s needs, including college transfer services, occupational training, community services as well as general, transitional and continuing education.
The campus is also the site of Middle College High School of the Los Angeles Unified School District. Students can take college courses and obtain their Associate of Arts Degree while meeting requirements for a high school diploma. LASC also has partnerships with other local high schools and offers college-level classes to students at their home campus and online.
More than half of LASC's students are first-generation college students. Our students come from a wide service area, including Los Angeles as well as portions of Gardena, Hawthorne and Inglewood. We also serve international students from different countries around the globe. The Associated Student Organization is the governing body for all LASC students and organizes social, cultural and political activities on campus.
We are the Cougars! LASC offers students intercollegiate athletics and competitive team sports in football as well as men’s and women’s basketball. The Athletics Department is housed in the Thomas G. Lakin Physical Education Center, a state-of-the-art sports complex with world-class amenities. The complex features an Olympic-sized outdoor pool, physical therapy pool, fitness center and dance studio.
We are still growing. Thanks to the passage of Proposition A in 2001, Proposition AA in 2003 and Measure J in 2008, our campus has experienced a dramatic transformation. We have several new, modern facilities, including a comprehensive child development center, bookstore, stadium and field house as well as a Student Services Center, among others.
Construction has also been completed on the School of Career Technical Education building and refurbished Cox building in our continued efforts to meet the changing demand of our students and community.
"In honor of its founding history, Los Angeles Southwest College provides a student-centered learning environment committed to empowering students and the community to achieve their
academic and career goals through the attainment of certificates and associate degrees leading to transfer and workforce preparation."
LASC is a learner-centered institution dedicated to meeting the needs of learners – the students and community who access the college for programs and the faculty, staff and administrators who provide learning opportunities and support. We subscribe to the premise that the learner is at the center of what we do in creating opportunities, providing an environment conducive to learning and working, establishing a place where the discourse of ideas can occur and where individuals can have experiences without sacrificing their individuality.
To fulfill the college mission, we are guided by the core values of accountability, equity, respect, excellence and integrity.
The college assumes and demonstrates accountability by:
- Addressing and implementing the standards of accreditation,
- Meeting or surpassing professional and ethical standards, and
- Being responsive to the needs of students by continuously evaluating and improving policies and procedures.
The college is committed to promoting equity by:
- Understanding and being responsive to differences in learning modalities,
- Promoting access to all who can benefit from the learning opportunities at LASC, and
- Ensuring fair and equitable treatment to students and employees.
The college fosters respect, civility and courtesy by:
- Creating an environment of trust where differences are recognized and respected,
- Supporting and acknowledging the contributions and needs of students and employees, and
- Treating individuals with dignity.
The college supports the pursuit of excellence by:
- Being dedicated to students, tasks, and the mission of LASC,
- Surpassing requirements and expectations, and
- Modeling best practices and maintaining currency in areas of specialization and service.
The college is dedicated to upholding ethical standards and striving for integrity by:
- Interacting with truth, sincerity, respect and collegiality,
- Respecting and promoting principles of collaboration and shared governance, and
- Serving with the highest level of ethical behavior
We are proud of our legacy. A dedicated group of residents led by Mrs. Odessa Cox saw a 20-year vision become reality when the Los Angeles Board of Education approved plans for a new community college. LASC opened its doors on September 11, 1967 with 600 students and 22 full-time faculty members. Today, the college has more than 8,000 credit and non-credit students, 75 full-time faculty members and 150 adjunct instructors. LASC is an educational and cultural hub for the surrounding communities.