Child Development Center
Chair, Child Development Department, La Shawn Brinson
Director, Child Development Center, Monica Moreno
The Child Development Center at Los Angeles Southwest College prepares individuals for various levels of employment in child development centers, nursery schools, recreation centers, public school settings, Head Start programs, family and in-home daycare and other areas where caring for young children is the principle function. The program integrates theoretical and empirical concepts of development with field and laboratory experiences.
Goals of the Child Development Program are to provide students with an awareness, appreciation and inclusive understanding of variables influencing the development of children.
The Child Development program offers each student opportunities to:
- acquire necessary units for the Child Development Associate in Arts degree and Child Development Permits
- participate in a Teacher Training program at the LASC Child Development Center Laboratory School
- receive assistance from quality improvement programs such as The California Early Childhood mentor Program and The Child Development Training Consortium
- receive grants, stipends, and participate in professional workshops, trainings, and conferences
- experience a very positive learning environment to enhance and ensure student success
The fields of child care and early childhood education need well trained passionate and creative educators to provide high quality and respectful services to diverse children and families in a variety of settings. At LASC, students receive the education, training, and support services needed to be successful early childhood educators.
Explore the LASC Child Development Department web site.