Social Action Partners
Social Action Partners (SoACT) works with LASC to strengthen connections between the college and community based organizations in south Los Angeles. Our shared goal is to improve access to resources, support services and social networks to optimize academic, financial, employment and social outcomes for students with families.
SoACT works with nonprofits in communities of need to assure accessible, high quality assistance that is culturally responsive and facilitates increased revenue into our communities. SoACT envisions a just society fueled by strong, connected, and capable organizations and communities.
Recently twelve organizations were in attendance at the first WSSN Community Engagement gathering at LASC. Organizations in attendance include:
- Black Worker Center (UCLA Labor Institute)
- LIFT LA
- Office of Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas
- RISE (Reach, Invest, Succeed, Earn) Financial Pathways
- Shields for Families (child and family wrap around services)
- The Positive Results Corporation (non-profit mentoring and social support network)
- Vermont-Slauson Economic Development Program
- Vermont Village Community Development Corporation
- Watts Century Latino Association (job development)
- Community Development Technology Center (AmeriCorps and VISTA)
- Children’s Defense Fund
- Los Angeles Southwest College Foundation.
These organizations help students form strong social connection to effective advocacy and services in communities where they live.
For WSSN students, SoACT will provide a variety of workshops:
Leadership development and advocacy workshops;
Peer helping skills workshop;
Negotiation skills workshop;
Community organizing workshops
The Social Action Partners is located in Cox 507.